ST. AGATHA EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Then . . . In the late nineteenth century, the Rt. Rev. Edwin G. Weed, third bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Florida, met with three Episcopal families in DeFuniak Springs while traveling in the lake district of West Florida.
These families formed the foundation for St. Agatha's Episcopal Church. At first, services were held in a private residence, where their first baptism was celebrated in 1890. The year 1895 saw the the start of construction for the cottage gothic church building. At Easter in 1895, although unfinished, the church was decorated with spring foliage and bight flowers to provide the women of the parish a space for Morning Prayer. In 1990, the only pure pipe organ in the county was hand built and installed in the church by a parishioner. Between the years 2000 and 2007, the church exterior and the Parish Hall were restored with the help of matching grants from the state Bureau of Historic Preservation. In December of 2007, St. Agatha Episcopal Church was rededicated. . .
And Now . . . Since 2007, the parish not only has continued to make historic restorations to the church interior but also expanded its commitment to community involvement and outreach. The parish is an active participant in
Our Rice & Beans volunteer outreach occurs year round on each third Saturday of the month to distribute food to area-wide residents.
St. Agatha currently is home to the Diocese of the Central Gulf Coast School for Ministry,
The Rt. Rev. Steven A. Miller is our Priest in Charge.